About Me

Wiesbaden, Hessen
Mystories and Interests.

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Historical Background - How I came to be in Wiesbaden, Germany



We all like stories. Telling them and listening to them. If this were not so, the publishing, film and TV industry would not be the money spinners that they are today. In fact you can include the music industry as well because after all songs tell stories. Although most people do not listen to the words, I am told. Well I do listen to the words. The point is that stories are very important to us, especially our own versions of events. How often in the retelling of an event, do we not add little things to make the story and thus ourselves seem more: interesting, scary, tough, weak and desirable then the actual events themselves support. So I would like to share my stories and in the process try and sort the facts from the fiction. The Ancient Greeks took story telling very seriously and acknowledged the effect that drama has on the viewer. They realised that we are drawn into the story and can experience arrange of emotions without actually having to go through the pain and gain in real life. This is certainly one of the reasons that I went and saw The Great Gatsby at my local Cinema in Wiesbaden, in 3D and in English.

We are told that stories need an introduction. My introduction will aim to tell the story of how I came to be in Wiesbaden in 2013.  I think it might be a rather long introduction but we will see. At this point I will try not to turn it into a either a Comedy or a Tragedy.

I was born towards the latter half of the last century in the Western Cape, South Africa. After leaving school I attended University in Johannesburg, South Africa. There I studied Business and Law. After leaving University, I worked in the administration and accounting in Johannesburg. I left South Africa in March 2002 and relocated to Munich, Germany to join my partner. My residence permit did not allow me to work in Germany. I used the time to improve my German – an ongoing process- and started a correspondence degree, majoring in the ancient history and culture. I also helped a German friend improve her English and assisted her with her English Exam preparations.

In mid-2003 I moved to Berlin from Munich after spending about a month in South Africa. I returned to South Africa at the beginning of 2004. The plan was to stay and find a job, but after one week I decided to return to Germany. I applied for and was accepted on Masters Programme in Berlin at the Humboldt University.  My particular focus was British Culture and History. As part of the programme, I spent three months in Manchester on a student placement. During this time I researched and wrote articles for the organisation’s magazine and other publications. To complete the Masters I wrote a 20 000 word thesis on “The Internal Limits of Third Sector Organisations in the UK”.  Once the Masters degree was complete I turned my attention to finishing my degree in Ancient History and Culture. I finished my BA in 2008 with a distinction, something that I am immensely proud of. 

In 2007, I moved to Nuremberg. At the beginning of 2009 I finally approached the Job Centre for assistance. I ended up participating in a six month German Language course. At the end of which I found an unpaid internship at a local company. And although, I received a glowing reference the company was not able to offer me remunerated employment. In August 2009 I received my German citizenship.
My partner was offered a position in the UK in April 2010. I was responsible for organising our move from Germany to England. I was able to find temporary work on an off and on basis in administration and accounting. My longest contract was ten months, my shortest four days. I lived about 45 minutes from London. Close enough to go to London to watch Dance or go to the Theatre on a special night out, but otherwise London was too far away. In any case this all came to an end when I moved back to Germany in February 2013.

After staying in a furnished apartment for a few months, I have finally moved to a really nice apartment in the Rheingau quarter of Wiesbaden.This then is the first chapter of my story. I am now seeking a way to make Germany work for me, or rather for me to find a way of earning money in Germany, so Wiesbaden as a Foreign Language.

So what things am I passionate (overused word- but cannot think of a better one)? Even if the answer is not obvious from what I have said above: History and Culture, and especially the ancient world of the Greek city states and the early Roman Empire.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....